Job Posting Details
Canada Foundation for Innovation
Media Relations Specialist
Media Relations Specialist
Client service results
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Media Relations Specialist is
responsible for the planning, development and implementation of a wide range of
media relations services that present in a positive and informative light CFI-funded
research and its impact on the life of Canadians. The incumbent is also
responsible for working with media relations staff at client institutions to
enhance the coverage of CFI-enabled research as well as for responding to
general enquiries from the public.
· Draft and edit news releases, advisories, backgrounders, media plans, and other written media
· Identify opportunities for the placement of stories and articles related to the wide range of impacts and
outcomes of the research enabled by CFI investments.
· Coordinate media shoots, broadcasts, and interviews in a timely fashion
· Collaborate on the organization and execution of media events
· Assess and respond to media and public enquiries, recommending appropriate course of action, suggesting elements of response
and briefing spokespeople.
· Identify and assist in the media training of CFI experts and executives
· Pitch and promote story leads and ideas to journalists to stimulate coverage of CFI funded
· Coordinate the corporate media monitoring program, providing activity reports and making recommendations for reaction to
individual stories and trends.
· Cultivate and maintain effective and productive relationships with Canadian and international journalists in the
daily, broadcast, online, business, research and university media;
· Facilitate meetings between CFI officials and members of the media
· Develop and maintain good working relationships with a network of media relations personnel in
institutions, government and other related organizations;
· Develop content for all digital channels, including social media, that align with the CFI’s priorities
and deepen engagement, interactions and relationships with media and
· Provide written, editorial, and logistical support for External Relations and Communications activities and
projects, as required;
· Participate in annual planning for communications, public affairs and media;
· Prepare reports and perform other duties, as required.
Skills and knowledge
- A proven track record of pitching
news stories to Canadian media outlets, with extensive knowledge and contacts in the media
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and an ability to work effectively in a bilingual environment
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of current affairs and ability to frame CFI media activities in political and economic contexts
· Familiarity with trends in Canadian research, innovation and business
· Experience working within a dynamic and
highly motivated team. Ability to work both as a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision
· Excellent research skills and be an organized, confident,
professional, focused speaker
· Strong computer and social media skills
· In-depth knowledge of dissemination
channels and aggregators
· Proven exceptional communications judgement, including the ability to communicate effectively and quickly with the media;
· Outstanding interpersonal, negotiation
and presentation skills;
· Excellent time and project management
skills, as well as organizational and interpersonal skills;
· Sound judgement and effective use of necessary
discretion when dealing with the media and the public;
· The position is full-time.
· This is a headquarters based function with
· Extended periods of time on the
telephone and at the computer requiring long periods seated.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, please forward your C.V. and a covering letter by Friday, June 7, 2013, 5:00 p.m. to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canada Foundation for Innovation, 230 Queen Street, Suite 450
Ottawa ON K1P 5E4
Fax: (613) 943-0923
We would also appreciate knowing where you heard about our competition.
We would like to thank all candidates who apply. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
For list of current postings click here...
Job Level & Type
Listing to be posted until:
Monday, June 17, 2013